The Andress Family Register, a work in progress, documents the descendants of Jacob Andress of Beattystown, NJ. The AFR is found in the Archive 18 June - 02 Aug. 2007. The AFR has also been added to rootsweb.com.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

1881 Will & Inv., Elizabeth M. Andress

4256S
Sussex County, New Jersey
Last Will and Testament of Elizabeth M. Andress, Deceased
Filed Janry 24th 1881 and Recorded in the Surrogate’s Office of the County of Sussex, N. J. in Book H. of Wills Page 343 &c.
Gabriel B. Dunning, Surrogate

In the name of God Amen
I Elizabeth M. Andress of the Township of Stillwater in Sussex County in New Jersey do publish & declare this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say.

First I order all my just debts and funeral expenses to be paid and satisfied as soon as conveniently can be after my decease.

Second I order and empower my Executor hereinafter named to sell and dispose of all my real estate [-----------------------?---------------------] or final sale at such times and in such manner as to him shall seem best for my estate and execute good conveyances therefore to the purchaser and also to convert my goods & chattels into money.

Third I order and direct my said Executor to invest on good security twelve hundred dollars in such manner that the annual interest thereof shall be paid to my son Theophilus H. Andress during his life and after his death the said principle [amount?] of twelve hundred dollars shall be equally divided among his children share & share alike.

Fourth I give and bequeath unto my daughter Arimenta Northrop wife of Peter T. Northrop twelve hundred dollars.

Fifth I give and bequeath unto Elizabeth Northrop daughter of said Arimenta Northrop my daughter three hundred dollars.

Sixth I give and bequeath unto [my?] grandson Hampton Andress son of my son Theophilus two hundred dollars.

Seventh all the rest and residue of my estate I order divided into three parts - one of said parts I give and bequeath unto my son Oscar Andress - the second of said parts I give and bequeath unto my said daughter Arimenta Northrop and the third of said parts I order my said Executor to invest on good security in such manner that the annual interest thereof shall be paid to my said son Theophilus H. Andress during his life and after his death the said principle shall be equally divided among his children.

Eighth I appoint Joseph Andress the Executor of this my last will & testament

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this Twenty Eighth day of November A.D. Eighteen hundred & Seventy Seven.
ELIZABETH M. ANDRESS seal

Signed sealed Published & declared by the said Elizabeth M. Andress to be her last will in our presence at the same time & we have at her request signed our names as the witnesses thereto at her request in presence of said Testatrix and of each other.

CHAS J. ROE
FRANK SHEPHERD

Codicil dated Febry 9’ 1879
I Elizabeth M. Andress do make publish and declare this a codicil to my last will and testament published by me November 28th 1877 in manner following to-wit

I do hereby revoke that part of my aforesaid will which directs my Executor to invest the sum of twelve hundred dollars for the benefit of my son Theophilus H. Andress during his life and the request of the same to his children after his death as contained in the third item of said will and also that part of the seventh item directing one third of the residue of my estate to be invested in same manner for the benefit of my said son Theophilus H. and the principle divided between his children after his death and instead and lieu of such provisions do order and direct that my Executor named in my said will & testament shall use the sum of twelve hundred dollars and the one third of the residue left of my estate after deducting the said twelve hundred dollars under the other [---?---] in my said will continued and shall deduct therefrom all debts due from him the said Theophilus H. Andress [---?---] at my death and all sums of [---?---] which I may be liable to pay for my said son Theophilus H. Andress or which my estate may be liable for at my decease. The balance left after such deductions or in case there shall be no deductions to be made from such sum of twelve hundred dollars and the one third of the residue aforesaid - I order and direct my Executor [of?] said will named [----?----] in a house and lot as a house for my said [son?] Theophilus H. of which he shall have the use during his life and after his death I give and devise the same to his children.

In all respects I do ratify confirm and republish my aforesaid will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this ninth day of February A.D. Eighteen hundred & seventy nine.

ELIZABETH M. ANDRESS her mark X

Signed sealed published & declared by the said Elizabeth M. Andress [--?--] a codicil as to her last will & testament in the presence of us who were present at the same time & signed our names as witnesses at her request in her presence and the presence of each other.

CHARLES [A. STABLE?]
CHAS J. ROE

Sussex Orphan’s Court, December Term 1880
[---?---] January 24th 1881

In the matter of the proof of a paper purporting to be the last Will and Testament, and codicil thereto to be taken as and for a part thereof, of Elizabeth M. Andress, late of the County of Sussex, deceased, exhibited by Joseph Andress, the person claiming to be the Executor therein named and Oscar Andress, Caveator.

The citations in this matter having been duly served and returned, such proceedings were thereon had, that proofs to the Will and Codicil thereto to be taken as and for a part thereof, were duly taken in open court; and the Caveator then thereupon desiring to withdraw the said Caveat, it is on this the 24th day of January A.D. Eighteen hundred and eighty one, ordered and decreed by the court - that the Caveator have leave to withdraw said Caveat - and that upon the said proofs, the said writing offered for Probate, as the true Last Will and Testament and Codicil thereto be taken as and for a part thereof, of the said Elizabeth M. Andress, deceased, the Testatrix therein named, be admitted to Probate, as such, and that letters testamentary do issue thereupon, to the proponent, Joseph Andress, executor in the said Last Will and Testament, named. Done in open Court Jany 24th 1881.

SUSSEX County, SS.
Joseph Andress
The Executor in the annexed writing named, being duly sworn doth depose and say, that the said annexed writing contains the true last Will and testament (and Codicil thereto to be taken as part thereof) of Elizabeth M. Andress, the Testatrix therein named, deceased, as far as he knows, and as he verily believes; that he will, as the Executor thereof, well and truly perform the same, first by paying the debts of the said deceased, and then the legacies therein specified, as far as the Goods, Chattels and Credits of said deceased will thereunto extend, and the law charge; that he will make and exhibit into the Surrogate’s Office of the County of Sussex, a true and perfect inventory of all and singular said Goods, Chattels and Credits, as far as the same have or shall come to his, possession or knowledge, or to the possession of any other person or persons to his use, to his knowledge; and Sworn and subscribed at Newton this 26th day of January A.D. 1881 before me:

GABRIEL B. DUNNING, Surrogate.
JOSEPH ANDRESS

State of New Jersey;
Seal I, Gabriel B. Dunning, Surrogate of the County of Sussex, do certify the annexed to be a true copy of the last Will and Testament (and codicil thereto to be taken as [--?--] for a part thereof) of Elizabeth M. Andress, late of the County of Sussex, deceased, and that Joseph Andress the Executor therein named, had the said Will and Codicil proved before the Orphan’s court of the County of Sussex, and is duly authorized to take upon himself the administration of the estate of the testatrix, agreeably to the said Will.

Witness my hand and seal of Office the Twenty Sixth day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight-hundred and eighty one.
GABRIEL B. DUNNING

4256S
Inventory & Appraisement of the personal property of Elisabeth M. Andress, dec’d
Filed April 19th 1881 and Recorded in the Surrogate’s Office of the County of Sussex, N.J. in Book N. of Inventories Page 467 &c
Gabriel B. Dunning, Surrogate

A True and Perfect Inventory and Appraisement of the personal property of Elisabeth M. Andress late of the County of Sussex deceased made by Joseph Andress Jr executor and Joel W Huff and Manuel C Snover two disinterested persons’ appraisers this 16th day of February 1881 said appraisers being approved of by the Surrogate.

Cash in the hands of J Andress Jr
Executor Collects of Mrs. S. E. Harhouse, $150.00
Rent due from Mrs. S.E. Harhouse, 50.00
1 Basket [wax?] Flowers and Vase claimed by
Mrs. Arminta Northrop, 5.00
1 Spring Rocker, 2.00
1 Cloth Cloak, 1.50
1 White Skirt, .50
1 Note T.H. Andress dated Feby 9 1877, 700.00
Interest from Feby 9/77 to Febry 16 1881, 196.81
1 Note T.H. Andress dated Aug 6 1872, 66.00
Interest from Aug 6/72 to Febry 16 1881, 39.34
1 Note T.H. Andress dated Feby 9 1877, 500.00
Interest from Feby 9/77 to Febry 16 1881, 140.67
(TH Andress claims that the above note of $700.
Includes the two last named notes)
1 Bond and Mortgage against James
L Decker and T.H. Andress dated June 15 1868, 900.00
Interest from April 1 1879 to Febry 16 1881, 118.30
$2870.12

Amt Forward 2870.12
1 Note Arminta Northrup dated Febry 14 1877, 500.00
Interest from Febry 14 1877 to Febry 16 1881, 140.09
I Note Oscar Andress dated April 1 1877, 500.00
Interest from April 1 1877 to Febry 16 1881, 135.77
1 Note Arminta Northrup dated April 1 1879, 450.00
Interest from April 1 1879 to Febry 16 1881, 50.70
1 Bed Room suit (1 bed Steads
1 wash stand 1 Dressing Beauro 2 Chairs
1 Rocker and 1 stand), 25.00
Bedding (1 feather tick, 1 straw tick
1 Bolster 2 pillows and 2 pillow cases
2 sheets 1 quilt 1 comfort 1 blanket), 12.00
1 Counter [pane?], 1.00
Lot of Carpet, 3.00
1 piece floor oil cloth, .25
1 [---?---] Chamber, .25
2 muslin sheets 50 c each, 1.00
1 pair muslin pillow cases, .25
1 muslin Bolster case, .25
1 sett mink furs, 2.00
1 Black Cashmer shawl, 4.00
1 grey shawl, 4.00
30 pieces clothing different kinds, 5.00
Cash in Merchants National Bank, 12.30
$4716.98
1 Note Gabriel P Demerest and
John Reamer dated March 29 1875, 152.00
Interest from March 29 1875 to Febry 16 1881, 30.66
Considered desperate $182.66

JOSEPH ANDRESS, Executor
JOEL W HUFF
MANUEL C SNOVER, Appraisers

Sussex County, SS: Joseph Andress Jr Executor of Elizabeth M. Andress, deceased, on his oath saith, that the above writing contains a true and perfect inventory of all and singular the goods, chattels, and credits of the said Elizabeth M. Andress, deceased, as far as have come to his knowledge or possession or the possession of any other person or persons for his use.
Subscribed & Sworn before me at Newton, this 19th day of April A.D. 1881
GABRIEL B. DUNNING, Surrogate
JOSEPH ANDRESS JR

Sussex County, SS: Manuel C. Snover, one of the appraisers of the above inventory, on his oath, saith that the Goods, Chattels, and Credits in the said inventory set down and specified were by him appraised according to their just and true respective rates and values after the best of his judgment and understanding ; and that Joel W. Huff, the other appraiser, whose name is thereunto subscribed, was present as the same time, and consented in all things to the doing thereof; and that they appraised all things that were brought to their view for appraisement.
Subscribed & Sworn before me as Newton, this 19th day of April A.D. 1881
GABRIEL B. DUNNING, Surrogate
MANUEL C SNOVER

No comments: